Short Gleanings From Collins' Historical Sketches Of Kentucky

Little Known & Mostly Forgotten, From One Of Kentucky's Most Noted History Books


Allen County
Allen County was first settled in 1797, at several points east and north of Scottsville, by Jos. Ficklin, Toliver Craig, Henry Collins, Daniel Monroe, Abram Wood, and others. The first church organized was by the United Baptists, on January 31, 1801, four miles northeast of Scottsville. The first justices of the peace, and who organized the county court on April 10, 1815, at a point four miles west of the present county seat, were Walter Thomas, Edward Martin, David Harris, Wm. R. Jackson, John Ragland, Hugh Brown, and Elias Pitchford; the first sheriff, Thomas Cook; the first clerk, of both county and circuit courts, David Walker.


Barren County
There are a number of Mineral Springs in Barren, which are considered efficacious in many diseases; but none have been as yet, much resorted to. There is a white sulphur spring on the east fork of Little Barren River, 16 miles east of Glasgow, the waters from which, as they flow off, form quite a respectable branch; and is supposed to be the largest stream of mineral water in the Green River country. There is a well on Buck Creek, nearly 14 miles west of Glasgow, which was commenced for salt water, but at the depth of 30 feet or more, a very large stream of medical water was struck (sulphur, magnesia, etc.), which rises about four feet above the surface of the earth through a large pipe, and runs off in a branch of considerable size. This is becoming a place of considerable resort. There are, also, several smaller springs within a few miles of Glasgow, which are thought to be very beneficial to invalids.


Campbell County
Bridges. - In 1815, some enthusiastic persons spoke of a bridge across the Ohio River. The anticipation did not become reality until 1869, when the wire suspension bridge, with two piers, between Covington and Cincinnati was completed. The iron railroad bridge, with seven piers, between Newport and Cincinnati was crossed by railroad trains on April 1, 1872, but not open for foot and vehicle travel for several months after. The wire suspension bridge between Newport and Covington was opened in January 1854, and the Short Line Railroad bridge, two and one-half miles above the mouth of Licking, in 1871. A substantial wooden bridge over the Licking River, opposite Butler Station, on the Kentucky Central Railroad, was finished in 1872.


Fulton County
Aboriginal Village. - In the bluffs, not far from Reel Foot Lake, are found various ancient stone implements, earthen ware utensils, and carved images, associated with human bones; affording evidence that this country has once been the site of some considerable aboriginal village.
Hurricanes. - The region of Reel Foot Lake is subject to frequent severe hurricanes, which prostrate the largest trees in their course. There is strong reason to believe that many of them originate here, usually taking a northeast course. One of these, which cannot be traced further south, took place March 20, 1834, between 9 and 10 a.m., passing by Feliciana on the edge of Graves County; and within four miles, destroying six or seven houses, and carrying clothing a distance, some say, of 20 miles.
The First Naval Engagement in the West, during the Civil War, took place just above the town of Hickman.