Scroll down and view just a sample of the many
photos you will see each month
in The Kentucky Explorer magazine.
This is Lee Cole Tavern as it appeared on October 5, 2002.
It is located near Midway, Woodford County, Kentucky, on Old
Frankfort Pike and US Highway 62. The location is the site of
the log cabin first constructed by Hancock Taylor for a station
camp to store equipment by early surveyors in 1774. Later this
land and site was deeded to Maj. John Lee who ran his residence
as Lee Tavern, 1786-1801, and reared eight children. His daughter,
Sara Lee, married John J. Crittenden who become Governor of Kentucky.
Major Lee's widow, Elizabeth Lee, leased it to Kennedy &
Daily who ran the first stage coach stop west of the Allegheny
Mountains, 1802-1811. Maj. John Lee's son, Thomas B. Lee, deeded
the same property to Richard Cole, Jr. It became the famous Black
Horse Inn, 1812-1839. Richard's son, James Cole, was the father
of Zerilda Cole. Zerilda was born in the brick part of the building
in 1825. She married Robert James and become the mother of the
notorious outlaws Jesse and Frank James. This old tavern later
became the property of Frank Harper, the famous thoroughbred
owner of Nantura Farm. Harper sold the tavern to Lexington, Versailles,
and Midway Road Company. It then become the Dual Toll House,
1848-80. The building was acquired by the McCabe family in 1916.
The property was deeded to the Woodford County Historical Society
in 1979 for restoration. The site of Lee-Cole Tavern was located
on the Big Buffalo Road (Old Frankfort Pike) a road beginning
in the far west and continuing to the Atlantic Coast by way of
Cumberland Gap. A second Buffalo Road, called the Indian War
Road Cross at the tavern site, prompted its location by a party
of 47 surveyors who laid out plats for the French and Indian
War soldiers in 1774.
The Kings Mountain Girls and Boys Basketball Teams of 1932-1933, Lincoln County, Kentucky. Front row, l-r: Unknown, Blanch Dishon, Earstine Farris, Josephine Smith, Imogene Smith, Anna Mae Skidmore, and Louise Masters. Back row, l-r: Byron Reynolds, Estill Jenkins, Coach Jeffries, Garland Sanders, John Bell, Bob Bell, and James Thompson. Lanny Hubbard, 9175 Somerset Road, Wayne, KY 40489, shares this photo. Estill Jenkins, shown in the photo, is Lanny's mother's brother.
Alden "Ott" Ratliff, 1012 Raceland Avenue, Raceland, KY 41169; firstname.lastname@example.org, shares these photos. The photo on the left is of the Shelby Elementary School (Shelby County, Kentucky), constructed by Joe Cederia and his brother, Mauel Cederia. The building was completed in 1938. The photo above was taken at the funeral of Joe Cederia. Most of the Shelby community was in attendance. The man on the right in the dark suit was Preacher Everette Brown. The man to his right was the undertaker, John George Call. The men on the far left are other stone masons who worked on the school building (no names given). All these stone masons came from Italy in the 1930s. Alden would like information on how to get funding for restoring this historic landmark. Contact him with any information.
Tammy Williams, 9421 Puddenbag Road, Germantown, OH 45327; email@example.com, shares this photo of the Duncil family taken in front of their home in Lawson, Breathitt County, Kentucky, near Jackson, ca. 1927. Back row, l-r: Shade Duncil, Zorah Duncil Chambers, Mae Duncil Southers, and Parielee Duncil Holtgreven. Front row, l-r: Warren Gamalyle Duncil, William Duncil (Tammy's grandfather), Jewell Duncil Cress (Tammy's mother), Ada Florence Hyes Duncil (Tammy's grandmother), and Connell Duncil.
Delores Johnson, 1298 Belmont Road, Lebanon Junction, KY
The Kentucky Explorer Contains Over 100 Photos Each Month.