Scroll down and view just a sample of the many
photos you will see each month
in The Kentucky Explorer magazine.
Ida Mae Siever Cockayne fed the cane into a cane mill many years ago (date unknown) in Pendleton County, Kentucky. The horse walked around and around the mill as the juice flowed. The juice was then strained and poured into the long vat that Ida Mae's husband, James William (bottom photo) manned. The green liquid was stirred with a paddle as it was poured into the vat. The juice darkened and became thicker. Only the most experienced women and men were allowed to stir the slow-making molasses, while keeping the fire burning steadily. Nick Kremer, 1268 Ak-Sar-Ben Park, Lexington, KY 40517, shares these photos with our readers.
Law Officers Of The Elkhorn Coal Corporation. This photo was taken in the winter of 1914 at a location near the mouth of Shop Fork on Steel's Creek above Wayland, Floyd County, Kentucky. The two railroad wheel riders were Beverly McCown (rear) and John B. Clark. Clark was hired in 1913 by Elkhorn Coal Corporation as a law officer for the two developing towns of Wayland and Garrett, which were largely Elkhorn towns. Bev McCown was added to the police force in early 1914 to serve only a short period of time, because he was shot and killed in a close range shoot-out he and Clark had with two young brothers on Shop Fork. After Clark had been wounded in each arm and had a finger shot off his right hand, he shot and killed one of the brothers. The other brother, who killed McCown, escaped from the scene but was captured some months later in West Virginia and was tried for murder in Floyd County. He was serving a sentence in the Kentucky Penitentiary where he died of tuberculosis some years later. This is one of the many photos from the Garrett Historical Society website submitted by Mrs. Annis Clark. Randy Bentley, P.O. Box 221, Garrett, KY 41630; firstname.lastname@example.org, shares this photo with our readers.
The Greenup Volunteer Fire Department gathered in front of the Greenup County Courthouse in 1943 for this photo. Front row, l-r: Ralph Hale; Lloyd Sizemore, Sr.; Lloyd Sizemore, Jr.; Chief Vernon V. Kendall; Earl Wellman, Jr.; Webb Baker; and Eddie Wellman, Sr. Back row, l-r: Thurman Darby, Les Darby, Halley VanHoose, Roy Potter, and Orville Griffith. Artty E. Hardymon, 1632 Main Street, Greenup, KY 41144, shares this photo with our readers.
A view of the west side of Fleming, Letcher County, Kentucky, ca. 1930, before it was known as Fleming-Neon. Fleming, located on the headwaters of the North Fork of the Kentucky River, was built in 1913 by the Elkhorn Coal Corporation and named for its first president, George W. Fleming. Leo Wilson, 409 Hillaire Drive, Hopkinsville, KY 42240, shares this photo and says that his aunt, Lela Wilson Nall, and her husband, Jack Nall, lived in Fleming when Jack was a coal miner for the Elkhorn Coal Corporation. They were originally from Morganfield, Union County, Kentucky. The post office opened in 1914. Neon was established in 1913 as a trading center to serve the nearby coal towns, including Fleming and McRoberts. A post office operated in the area as Chip from 1902 until 1915 and the Neon post office opened in 1926. Fleming and Neon merged in 1978.
This group, comprised largely of Louisville & Nashville (L&N) employees, gathered on the front porch of the boardinghouse of Mrs. Pete Davis at Earlington, Hopkins County, Kentucky, in 1897. Front row, l-r: J. T. Lenard, brakeman; John Hampton, engineer; unknown; Mrs. Pete Davis; and Edward Davis. Back row: J. P. Monahan, engineer; William Baldwin and Herman Roser, conductors; J. W. Alsup, engineer; Sam Smyers, brakeman; E. T. Dumon, fireman; Bert Hyde, engineer; unknown; Mrs. Flossie Owen, Will Fitzgerald, engineer; Miss Pauline Davis; Dr. Pete Davis; J. W. Harris, and Joe Faulkner, brakeman.
Come along and explore with our thousands of readers.
The Kentucky Explorer Contains Over 100 Photos Each Month.