September 2005 Photographs

Scroll down and view just a sample of the many

photos you will see each month

in The Kentucky Explorer magazine.

94-Year-Old Operated Mill On The Banks Of Elkhorn Creek

Fayette/Woodford Counties

This old water mill was located about two-and-one-half miles northwest from the hamlet of South Elkhorn on the Lexington, Harrodsburg, and Perryville turnpike. It was constructed over a little tub mill by Jacob Ryman when he came to Fayette County, ca. 1790. This mill was once described as the finest mill this side of the Allegheny Mountains. Jacob's son, Robert, was still running the mill at the age of 94, ca. 1892. Some of the very earliest industrialists in Kentucky were the millers who built and operated the gristmills in the rural communities and small villages of our forefathers. The early gristmills were customarily powered by running water, so they were necessarily located on the banks of streams. The mills became a community meeting place. One could take wheat and corn to the mill to be ground, meet friends there, and catch up on the latest news. See the article in the September 2005 issue of The Kentucky Explorer.


Clay City, Powell County, Kentucky

It's hard to believe that this store building was moved by one mule from the west end of Clay City to Sixth Street in 1903. Paul F. Haggard, 5810 Van Meter Road, Winchester, KY 40391, shares this treasured old photograph. Henry Waldron, the owner of the store, can be seen in the extreme right side of the photo. Next to him, second from right, is William "Will" Harrison Ringo (Paul Haggard's great grandfather) who succeeded in moving the building after others failed. Will's daughter is Mary Anne Ringo Leach, the mother of May Belle Leach Haggard who is Paul's mother. All others in the photo are unidentified. If any readers have any information concerning their identifications, contact: The Kentucky Explorer, P. O. Box 227, Jackson, KY 41339; or the Red River Historical Society & Museum, P. O. Box 195, Clay City, KY 40312. Read the complete article on the pages of the September 2005 issue of The Kentucky Explorer.


Jenkins, Letcher County, Kentucky

Hershel R. Green, Lot 297, 3150 NE 36th Avenue, Ocala, FL 34479, would like for Kentucky Explorer readers to see what a coal town looked like after only three short years of its birth. This view of Jenkins in Letcher County is part of a collection of photos from 1911 to 1930 that was taken by the Consolidation Coal Company from a hillside overlooking the town. In the foreground we can see the original road to Neon and Whitesburg. The road curved around to the left into a hollow and came out to the rear of George McCoy's Funeral Home (the large two story building in the left center). In the center of the photo is the office building, company store, and recreation building, this group of buildings also contained the Masonic Hall, post office, and the only jail Jenkins ever had. In the far right side is the hospital (a large white building) and the beginning of the city park. In the far right side is a railroad spur that went around to the power plant to deliver coal to the boilers and generators before outside power could be provided to the town. This photo was taken in the summer of 1914 and the only building still standing is the hospital.



Ohio County, Kentucky


A Piece Of History. This old fan was inside of the Broadway underground mine that opened ca. 1908 in the town of Simmons, Ohio County, Kentucky. At that time Simmons had five grocery stores, a butcher shop, barber shop, school, and a silent movie house that was operated by "Tobe" McConnell. The company store and drug store were in the same building. In 1928 when the mine fell in there were three cutting machines, two motors, and 13 coal cars (probably loaded) inside. The mine closed about this time. The flood of 1937 destroyed the mine for good. The town of Simmons was named for William W. Simmons, who was born in Courtland, Alabama. He was president of the mine. This old fan was moved from Broadway Curve off Highway 62 to the McHenry Park between Rockport and Beaver Dam, Kentucky. Greta Whitehead, P. O. Box 47, Centertown, KY 42328-0047, shares this photo with our readers.



Whitley County, Kentucky


William Meeks Johnson (1825-1903) lived all his life on Meadow Creek in Whitley County, Kentucky. He was called "Buggy Bill" because he was short and had trouble getting on a horse, so he rode in a buggy. William is shown with his wife, Susan McKeehan Johnson (1832-1899), and son, Jarvis J. Johnson. Date of photo not given. See the September 2005 issue of The Kentucky Explorer for the letter that "Buggy Bill" wrote to his daughter and son-in-law in 1893. Also, see the October 2005 issue for a response to this photo and letter.

 

See hundreds of old photos each month throughout the pages of The Kentucky Explorer magazine.

 

 


Breathitt County, Kentucky

These young men were going to the community store to barter hens for coffee, sugar, etc., ca. 1915. These photos were taken near Simpson in Breathitt County by Paul Derthick who visited Eastern Kentucky from 1910 to 1915. Patsy Woodring, P. O. Box 2, Vancleve, KY 41385, shares these photos, which were in the belongings of Lela McConnell of Mt. Carmel, Breathitt County.

Come along and explore with us and our thousands of readers!