Magoffin County Courthouse, Salyersville, 1929

The Magoffin County Courthouse, with the jail on the left, in Salyersville, Kentucky, 1929. The courthouse was built in 1893 by Thomas T. Milburn and Frank P. Milburn, a father and son team of Kenova, West Virginia. The Magoffin County jail was built in 1908. The two Buick sedans in front of the courthouse belonged to Luther J. Conley and his brother-in-law, Ben McCormick. At that time they were making regular trips between Salyersville and the C&O. Depot at Paintsville, Johnson County. Luther J. Conley soon established the Conley Bus Line and put buses on the route from Salyersville to Paintsville, Inez (Martin County), and to Kermit, West Virginia. In the late 1940s there was also one trip a day to Jackson (Breathitt County), Kentucky. During WWII the Conley Bus Line ran two trips a day to Paintsville. At the same time the Greyhound Bus Company had two trips a day through Salyersville on their Lexington to Paintsville route.
(Photo courtesy of James E. Allen, 447 Kentucky Street, Salyersville, KY 41465-9463, a regular contributor to The Kentucky Explorer.)