We exercise a lot of care and patience in reproducing the best quality photographs we can on newsprint paper. This is often a difficult task, but today's technology has made it possible with little difficulty. The old rule of thumb was that a reproduction of any photograph could only be as good as the original. Not anymore! Now we have the capability of reproducing photos, in many cases, that look even better than the original!
In contributing photos to The Kentucky Explorer for publication, keep in mind the following guidelines for best results:
(1) When possible, send good photocopies or scans of your photos. Black and white or color makes no difference. Never send your original or only copy via U. S. mail, unless absolutely necessary;
(2) If scanning photos for submission via e-mail, keep your scans at 150-200 dpi (75-100 lpi). According to industry experts, anything larger than this is a waste of time and space, and it takes forever to download them. Send all photos as JPEG (JPG) or GIF files only! We use Apple-based computers and cannot decifer photos embedded in Windows formats, such as .DOC (Word).
(3) Include identifying information as accurately and thoroughly as possible. The more you can say about a photograph, the more value it will have for others when it is published. At the very least, all photographs should include information such as when and where (at least the name of the county) it was taken and who is in the photo. Also include your own name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, so our readers may contact you about your photos, if desired.
(4) Do not send photos from newspapers, magazines, books, or any other previously published sources. Copyright laws come into play here.
(5) Due to a large inventory of submitted photographs, your material may not be published right away. Just because you send your photo today does not mean it will be published in the next issue. Please be patient with us in that regard.
While working with photographs is a time-consuming task, from month to month, we feel that our published photos are certainly worth the effort, and they provide yet another resource in helping to preserve our past for future generations to enjoy.
Only $2.50 per issue!
Purchase your copy today at your favorite newsstand, grocer, or book store. Subscribe Online and save 70-cents per issue (excluding postage).
This Entire Site Is Under Copyright Protection - © 2002