Camp Knox Becomes Fort Knox, 1931


Camp Knox Becomes Fort Knox. Many of the original Camp Knox structures were used in the construction of Fort Knox in 1933. This photo, taken in 1931, shows a portion of the complex before major renovations and construction began. The post auditorium is seen in the foreground, at left, the building with the circular-patterned windows; in the background behind the auditorium is the Company B, 11th Infantry Barracks; the long building across the street, at right, is the post laundry facility.

(Photo courtesy of Kentucky Progress, 1932.)