Genealogy From The Long Ago (1890s)

Editor's Note: We have come across an interesting collection of old clippings dealing with Kentucky family history. Since these clippings are over 100 years old, your editor feels they will be of interest to many of our readers. We will continue this column each month until the supply is gone.


Micajah Fort, of Halifax, North Carolina, was one of six brothers, viz: Elias, Sugg, William, Josiah, Arthur, and Micajah. Four of these brothers, Josiah, William, Sugg, and Elias, went from North Carolina to Tennessee, some time between 1770 and 1780, and settled in Robertson County. Elias Fort married Frances Diggs, daughter of Robert Diggs and Betty Lawson. Sugg Fort married Elizabeth Diggs, sister to Frances Diggs. Micajah Fort married 1st, Ann Hart, daughter of Col. Henry Hart, of the Revolutionary Army; and Catherine Diggs, who was also a daughter of Robert Diggs. Micajah Fort always lived in Halifax, North Carolina. He had one child, John Joseph Fort. John Joseph Fort married Eliza D. O'Kelley and lived at Darlington, South Carolina. Arthur Fort went to Georgia and settled. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary Army and in the cabinet of Georgia's first colonial governor.


Mrs. J. J. Crittenden, of Kentucky, was a cousin to Elizabeth Woodson and Elizabeth Bates, of Missouri.

Mrs. Crittenden was a daughter of Dr. James W. Moss, of Goochland County, Virginia, and his wife, Mary Woodson. Dr. Moss married in 1801, removed to Maysville, Kentucky, in 1803, and prior to 1821, moved to Columbia, Missouri. His sister, Keturah L. Moss, married Gen. James Taylor, of Kentucky. Their father, Hugh Moss, was commissioned captain of the militia in Goochland County, Virginia, in 1760 and major in 1770. He served in the Revolutionary War, and died in 1780, from wounds he received in battle. He was married by Rev. John Clay (father of Henry, the statesman) to Jane Ford, daughter of Thomas and Keturah Wynne Ford. His father, James Moss, came from England to Virginia about 1719, where he married Elizabeth Henderson; whose ancestors came from Scotland. Mrs. Crittenden's mother, Mary Woodson Moss, was a daughter of Josiah Woodson, of Dover, Goochland County, Virginia, a major in the Revolutionary Army; who moved to Maysville, Kentucky, in 1804, and died in 1817 (buried by his wife, Elizabeth Woodson), son of Col. John Woodson, long a member of the House of Burgesses from Goochland, by his wife, Doro-thea Randolph (their marriage bond is dated October 28, 1751). Dorothea is the sister of Susanna Randolph, who married Carter H. Harrison, and is an aunt to Thomas Jefferson. She died at Dover, Goochland County, Virginia, February 2, 1794. Col. John Woodson's will was probated January 18, 1790. He was a son of Josiah Woodson, who died in 1736 (by his wife, Mary Royal), son of John Woodson, of Curles, in Henrico (by his wife, Judith Tarleton, a daughter of Stephen Tarleton, who died in 1687); eldest son of Robert Woodson, son of Dr. John Woodson, who emigrated to Virginia from Dorsetshire, England, prior to 1625. They all lived in Goochland County, Virginia.


William Murdock married Elizabeth Thornly, who was born in King George County, Virginia. William Murdock was born before the Revolutionary War. His sister, Jane, married Wm. Spencer, a colonel or brigadier general in the Revolutionary War. He died childless, and Wm. Murdock heired the military land claim granted him by Congress, which fell near Chillicothe. The Murdock coat of arms was a "buck's head" or two "bucks' head."

Aaron Thornly was born in King George County, Virginia. He was twice married. His second wife was a widow by the name of Riding, who had a son and two daughters. She had three daughters by Aaron. One of her granddaughters was Mrs. Jessie Gatewood, of Covington, Kentucky (formerly of Mount Sterling, Kentucky).

David Dickinson was the father of Wm. C. Dickinson, who was born February 22, 1793, in Caroline, Virginia. David Dickinson was married to Anne _____. Wm. C. Dickinson married Eleanor Lafayette Murdock. David Dickinson had a daughter, Fannie, who married a Mr. Gravette.


Col. Joseph Hamilton Daviess was born in Bedford County, Virginia, March 4, 1774. He came to Kentucky with his parents, Joseph and Jean Daviess, in 1779, and settled near Danville. He possessed a fine mind and was a close student. In 1794 he volunteered under Maj. Adair and served against the Indians, distinguishing himself by his valiant conduct. He was admitted to the bar in 1795 and was the first western lawyer who ever appeared in the Supreme Court of the United States. In 1805 Joseph married Annie Marshall, sister of the chief justice. In 1806 his celebrated prosecution of Aaron Burr occurred, which he confronted Henry Clay and John Allen. Joseph moved to Lexington in 1809. In 1811 he volunteered in the Indian war and was appointed major of the cavalry, but when killed at the battle of Tippecanoe, he was fighting on foot in a charge made at his own request. He was a man of fine personal appearance and impressive bearing. Joseph was an able lawyer and a superior orator. His will was made July 18, 1811, probated in the December court, 1811. He left no children, but a large estate to be divided into three parts, and then given to his three most promising nephews; these to be chosen by his executors.


Very early a family of Gibsons settled in Charles City County,Virginia, on the James River. It could have possibly been the family of Jonathan Gibson. Some of the family records show that he came later to the Rappahannock. Jonathan was sheriff of King George County in 1701-2; burgess for Caroline County, 1736; in or about 1740 became the second county clerk of Orange County; and in 1744 he died from accidental poisoning. He was a brother of Edmund Gibson, bishop of London. They were the sons of Edmund Gibson and Jane Langhorne Gibson. Bishop Gibson wished to adopt one of his nephews in this country. Col. Catlett Gibson, of Culpeper, read the letter to his grandfather on the subject. The unexpected and uncongenial marriage of the bishop, late in life, broke off the negotiations.

Jonathan Gibson, according to the Catlett records and the universal traditions of the Gibsons, married Margaret Catlett, daughter of Col. John Catlett, of "Green Hill Estate;" at or about where is now Port Royal. This Col. John Catlett came from Letterbaume Parish, Kent County, England, and owned lands there, which his grandchildren inherited. He was killed by the Indians in 1670, at the attack on the fort near Port Royal. Margaret Catlett was an aunt of Rebecca Catlett, who married Frances Conway, and was the mother of President James Madison; hence Jonathan Gibson became sponsor of the president.

Rebecca Catlett Conway married James Moore. Their daughter, Jane Moore, married Erasmus Taylor, of Orange County.

Rachel Gibson Taylor was buried in the old Taylor graveyard, near Orange Courthouse; and her husband, George Taylor, who died in 1792, long after Rachel, was buried at her side.

Bishop Gregg, in his History of Old Cheraws, says, "In 1735 two important settlements were made on the Pedee, South Carolina. One of these was in Button's Neck, 20 miles below Mars Bluff and 40 miles above Georgetown. The other settlement referred to was made at a point on the east side of the river, called Sandy Bluff, two and a half miles above Mars Bluff. The families of Crawford, Saunders, Murfree, Crosby, Heighly, Berry, and shortly after, the Gibsons made up this community.

"Of the settlers at Sandy Bluff, the Murfrees, Saunders, Gibsons, and Crawfords accumulated the largest properties and became most prominent. Of the Gibsons, Gideon and Jordan were brothers. The latter went to the West as companion of Daniel Boone. Gideon Gibson came with his father from Virginia to Pedee. There is a public record of a grant to him for 550 acres of land, as early as April 1736. He settled at a place called 'Hickory Grove,' five miles from Sandy Bluff, on a large and fertile body of land, long after noted as the most valuable in that region. He had three sons. Of these, Stephen became wealthy and removed to Georgia about the year 1800. Roger, another son, removed to the West before the Revolution. Gideon Gibson was a man of very marked character, of commanding influence, and prominently connected with the leading events of the region, in which he lived. His death took place during the Revolution. He was shot at his own front door by his nephew, Col. Maurice Murphy, because he blamed Murphy for unnecessary cruelty to a Tory prisoner. Murphy was a man of ungovernable passion, which was often inflamed by strong drink."

The tradition in the family is that Gideon Gibson's father, who came from Virginia with him, was the "emigrant," and the father of Jonathan, Jordan, Edmund, the Bishop, and the first husband of Mrs. Saunders Murphy; who never came to this country, but whose five sons came with their mother.