A partial view of Blue
Diamond Coal Camp, ca. 1936. Blue Diamond was completely self-sufficient
with the superintendent's office, a post office, fully-equipped
dentist's office, churches, recreation, movie theatre, pool hall,
beauty shop, barber shop, soda fountain, clubhouse, and a commissary.
The commissary sold merchandise of the highest quality. Special
attention was given to the health and happiness of employees.
A full-time physician and staff lived there to answer calls,
day and night. Special group arrangements were made with the
hospital in nearby Hazard for hospitalization necessities. About
80 percent of all the employees lived in camp housing, which
had electricity, running water, and were accessible by wagon
or truck. Within the limits of Blue Diamond Camp were three schools
(two for whites, one for Negro) with a combined enrollment of
several hundred students and 25 faculty members. This photo and
information are shared by Ernest Denny, P. O. Box 233, Woodbine,